Dennis’ story: My vasectomy experience

I got my vasectomy on Feb. 29, 2008. I have been married for 19 years and have two children. I am 38 years old with a boy 7 years old and a girl who is 2 years old. I didn’t think I would ever have the need for a vasectomy. We tried for 6 years to have children using all means possible and spending around $40,000 in the process. After deciding it just wasn’t in God’s plans for us to have children we stopped trying. Within a couple of weeks, my wife was pregnant with our son. When my mom passed away and me being an only child I didn’t want my son to have to go through that experience and we decided to try for a second child. On the very first try my wife was pregnant with our daughter. That led me to consider the vasectomy since I am now older and facing several health issues. We just felt we were extremely blessed and didn’t want to risk another pregnancy later on in life.

The vasectomy

Now that I have bored you to tears with the background let’s get to the procedure. I get to the doctor’s office and sit in the waiting room with three other guys. The first guy gets called back and then in about 10 minutes comes back out. I thought he must have changed his mind that didn’t take near long enough. Then they called my name. I get back to the room and the doctors ask if I have any questions. I said I was fine. So he instructs me to drop my pants and underwear. Which by the way I am a boxer type of guy when it comes to underwear. But I purchased some tight-fitting boxer briefs for the procedure. Which the tighter the underwear the better I now know. I lay down on the table and he says my shaving job was very good. So he proceeds to clean the area with a very cold solution. Then he tapes my penis back to my stomach to keep it out of the way. Then places a sterile cloth over the area with a hole in it for the testicles. The most painful part to me was him manipulating my testicles around to get everything where he wanted it. Then he gave me the injection for the numbing effect. This didn’t hurt at all but did cause some pressure. Then I lay there watching him do the procedure. It was so easy and pain-free I was just amazed. He pulled the first side out cut and tied it and left it to hang there then pulled the other side out and cut and tied. Then he proceeded to burn the ends. Then removing the clamps and putting everything back into place. All the while I felt absolutely nothing. It was over. It took exactly 9 minutes from the time I walked back there till I was walking back out into the waiting room.

After the procedure

Now for the humorous part. My wife was with me. I take a medication that makes me light-headed so I have to be somewhat more careful when getting up and that kind of thing. My doctor is very aware of this since he is the one that prescribed the medicine that I have been on for years. We were headed to the elevators and I started to feel a little light-headed which is very normal for me. Then we get on the elevators and my wife asks me if I was ok and I said yes. That is all I remember until I woke up with several nurses smacking my face asking me if I was ok. I had passed out. How embarrassing. Mind you this wasn’t from the procedure at all. The vasectomy was the easiest, painless procedure I have ever had. I have given blood that hurt worse than the vasectomy. Just happen to be one of those times where my medication and of course that hospital smell had gotten the better of me. So I go to spend the next 15 minutes sitting in a wheelchair while the nurses check my blood pressure. After they were convinced that I could walk again I got up and left.

It has been 4 days since I have had the vasectomy. The day I got home I sat around the rest of the day with an ice pack. The next day I used ice packs up until 11 am. My son had a basketball game at 11 am and I went to it and watched him. Never had any pain and didn’t use any more ice after that. Then next day I thought it might be ok to try out the plumbing. Since that morning I woke up with major morning wood. So that evening I decided to try out the plumbing by myself so I could take it easy and stop if I needed to. Everything worked just fine with no pain. I am sure in the next day or two it will be time to test the waters for real. I still have to take my samples back to get the all-clear sign. I really look forward to the day of no more worry about a late in life pregnancy.

In summary, if you are considering it for me it was the easiest most pain-free procedure I have ever had and is going to bring me a great sense of peace of mind. Good luck.

Submitted by Dennis

Leave a Comment